Q: Won't start

Began quietly dying while driving, but started right back up. Became increasingly hard to start, although it was receiving spark. Then wouldn't start at all. Have since changed fuel pump, fuel filter & fuel pump relay. Still won't start.

Hi there:

We’re seeing more of these questions frequently with late 1990’s Chevrolet’s. Although there are multiple issues that could cause an engine to not start, the most common repair we’re seeing is replacing the crankshaft position sensor. This component relays information to the ignition system to adjust timing. If the sensor is damaged or the electrical harness is damaged, it will fail to relay this vital information and can cause the engine to shut off or not ignite. The best way to determine the precise source of your no start issue is to have a professional mechanic complete an engine won’t start inspection first.