Q: Clicking when letting off the gas pedal.

asked by on March 02, 2017

When I'm driving and there is momentum transfer while the car is in gear it makes a clicking noise around the axle area I believe if I decelerate with the car in gear just letting off the gas it clicks thenis fine if I decelerate with the car in neautral or with the clutch in there is no noise. I have replaced the cv axle, lower ball joints, tie rod inners/ outers, and sway bar bushings and end links.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The differential inside the transmission may be worn or have an issue with the bearings that is causing the clicking noise when loaded on the opposing side to the load applied when driving. Try to see if the noise occurs when downshifting and also see if the noise occurs in reverse. If it only happens on letting off the throttle and having a little float on the gears, then the differential gears could be walking around. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission ticking noise during deceleration.