Q: No acceleration in drive

my name is jarrod. i have a 2001 dodge durango my problem is my tansmission has no pick up in drive and when im on the highway the rpm runs about 2500 rpm at 55 mph. the tranny doesnt slip i changed the throttle posistion sensor input output sensors also the plugs. my crank sensor went bad but changed tht and it seemed to fix tht problem but still no acceleration. any thoughts could it be the tranny solenoid or govenor??

A: Hello - first task is to check to see if th...

Hello - first task is to check to see if there are any problem codes set, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. It is possible that the transmission speed sensor is malfunctioning as you mention, and not allowing a downshift. This would make the engine struggle, trying to accelerate in a higher gear than required.

Try manually downshifting to see if that forces a downshift (it should). Check transmission fluid of course - low fluid level causes all sorts of bad behavior. Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so will also force the transmission to go through a "re-learn" process, which may clear some transient problems.

If none of these improve transmission performance, a diagnostic check from a reputable transmission shop is the next step for you. If the transmission appears to be shifting properly, including downshifting, I would recommend having you car’s loss of power condition inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.