Q: why does my car jerk and lurch forward when i accelerate and jumps when i apply the brake

asked by on November 16, 2017

when I'm sitting at a light with the brake on the car wants to jerk forward and when I step on the gas it jerks and lurches but when I let off the gas the car rolls and idles smoothly until I try to accelerate again its almost like it wants to die and acts like its being held back from accelerating forward its almost like the engine wants to jump out of the compartment I have only had the car for a few months and the only work done on it recently was the alternator belt and serpentine belt replacement also car jumps when braking downhill

Hi Frank. There could be a few possible issues here. Usually, when the car lunges when you’re on the brake, it’s due to the torque converter slipping or other internal transmission problems. This is really something that a transmission specialist should look at in order to correctly diagnose. To be honest, the cost of repairs like this will likely be more than the value of the vehicle. So, you might want to have a professional mechanic diagnose this first, before sinking too much money in repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr