Q: My clutch pedal won't come back up fully. The main reservoir is full, even over the MAX.

asked by on February 25, 2017

Bought a used car, and the clutch pedal isn't going back up. I can pull it with my leg and it's back good for a couple of minutes. I have checked the main reservoir and it is full, over the max level.

There are typically a few different possibilities for why a clutch pedal will stay on the floor. It could be a failed clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, failed fluid line, or the clutch has failed. If there doesn’t appear to be any leaks, or the level in the reservoir doesn’t seem to be going down, I would say you can rule out a leak. In this case, I would at the clutch master or slave cylinder. If this is something that you feel you need a hand in identifying and/or repairing, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics at YourMechanic.com.