Q: Car not accelerating check engine light on

asked by on August 30, 2017

Was driving down the highway and my car began to slow down even as I pressed the gas and started pressing even harder. Then the check engine light came on. After pulling over, I put the car in Park and turned off the motor for a minute. Then restarted it, but the check engine light was still on. I continued down the road and at first it seemed fine but then started doing it again. So I pulled over and did the same thing. What can this be and how much is this going to cost? I just bought the damn thing because I really needed a car but it was used. 2003 Honda Accord. Is this really bad? Should I not drive it? It seems to drive ok if I'm driving around 40 and under.

Hi Jesse. Thanks for contacting us today in regards to the issue with your Honda Accord. When a car will start but stall, it can be caused by a few different items, including an ignition system sensor (like crankshaft or cam sensor) that is loose or damaged, or fuel system components that are dirty or also need replacement. Due to the multiple possibilities, it’s hard to give you an estimate for repair. The best way to handle this is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection first. This will permit them to correctly diagnose your Honda’s issues and recommend repairs that will keep you driving. It would be best to have this inspection completed sooner rather than later, so if it’s just a small issue (which is quite possible), it can be fixed before more expensive problems occur.