Q: Lack of response when stepping on the gas.

When I try to accelerate the engine seems to return to idle and than suddenly accelerate. It does not seem like a brief stumble of the engine but just a complete lack of power. I suspect a problem with the throttle positioning sensor. But beyond that I am stumped.

Your engine has a couple sensors that can cause the symptom you talk about.You should have the computer scanned for codes first and then the datastream can be looked at to see if the computer is losing input from the throttle position sensor or the mass airflow sensor. Once this is done then you can isolate the cause to computer and sensor related or check the fuel pressure and it may be fuel pressure related. Have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic.com come and test the vehicle for you.

3. Lack of response when stepping on the gas.