Q: I believe a vacuum leak, maybe head gasket.

asked by on February 13, 2017

Found a vacuum line disconnected going into cannister. When reattached causes car to not idle, vehicle shuts off, starts real hard. When line is left off it runs better but still not right.alot of the rubber pieces connecting the lines are in bad shape, dry rotted. Car has been running great until maybe three weeks ago. I was told maybe a head gasket, but car has never overheated. I just put a new fuel pump on about one year ago but I park on a hill with front facing down hill. I think I might have clogged fuel pump again. Almost the same thing is happening. Could use some advice where to start. Maybe bad plugs?

Hi there. If your vehicle tends to stall out when all of the vacuum lines are hooked up, then there is an issue either with the air coming into the engine or the combustion is not good enough to keep the engine running without the extra volume of air. I recommend performing a tune-up on the engine. Replace the air filter, replaced the distributor cap and rotor, replace the spark plug wires and plugs, and perform a fuel treatment. This will help clean up the engine and allow it to run in a better condition that its running with the vacuum line disconnected. Most likely a valve is not shutting all the way causing a low compression in one or more cylinders. The fuel treatment will help remove any deposits that are keeping any valves from shutting. If you need further assistance with your engine running rough, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.