Q: I have a very slow leak coming from the transfer case.

What is the most common cause for a low mileage car to get a leak in the transfer case? Is there a simple and inexpensive fix?

The most common leak from the transfer case is the rear output shaft seal. Of course, the condition of the bushing and/or bearing at that location will have to be verified because excessive play will make it impossible for the spring loaded seal to do its job. If just the seal has failed, and everything else is mechanically in order, replacement of the seal takes 2-3 hours. The seal itself is nominal in cost, probably in the range of $10 to $25 for the part depending on OEM (Toyota) versus aftermarket.

If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request transfer case leak inspection - output shaft seal replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.