Q: Have smoke and fuel coming out of exhaust pipe

asked by on August 21, 2017

My truck was running great until a week ago when my fuel pump went out so i installed a new fuel pump with 118 wheel base also replaced fuel filter, fuel pump relay and the Pcv valve. these other items i replaced them just because they were inexpensive and easy. after completing the work i started my truck ( it started right up )
and let it ideal then i started smelling gas and notice smoke and gas both coming out of exhaust so shut it down. been trying to figure out what could be the problem been told it's most likely to be the fuel pressure regulator which i have not been able to figure out where it is. Please help

The pressure regulator is usually located on the fuel rail and is easily accessible. But I wouldn’t change it unless you’ve done a fuel pressure test. There are a number of other things that could be wrong that would lead your truck to run too rich. The coolant temp sensor comes to mind, or an injector valve that is not closing or is leaking when closed. Trying to fix a car by replacing parts until it works again can get very expensive. You would, in most cases be better off to have it checked out before throwing more parts at it. You can have that done conveniently by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Ranger and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.