Q: Clutch does not engage and I cannot shift gears.

The clutch in my manual transmission vehicle does not engage when I press the clutch pedal. This means I cannot shift gears.

A: Hello and thanks for the question. Your pro...

Hello and thanks for the question. Your problem could actually be linked to two separate systems, one would be the hydraulic system consisting of the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder located at or inside the bell housing of transmission. A fluid loss or malfunction with one of these would give you no response from your pedal. Secondly you could have a bad clutch pressure plate or disk, or even a faulty pilot bearing causing your transmission input shaft to be stuck to your engine thereby eliminating your clutch. A mechanic, like one you will find at YourMechanic, will be able to determine which system has failed and further diagnose the part that has caused it.