Q: What does it mean when the Charging System light comes on in the dash?

What does it mean when the Charging System light comes on in the dash?

A: Your dash is information central – gauges a...

Your dash is information central – gauges and warning lights provide you with a great deal of important information. If your Charging System light comes on (it looks like a little battery), it means there’s something wrong. It should come on and then go off immediately after cranking the engine. Follow these brief Tips

1. Turn off all of your accessories (radio, air conditioner, etc.). Do not use any electrical components (power windows).

2. Do not turn off the engine.

3. Have your charging system tested immediately (this should test both the battery and the alternator, as both can cause this problem).

Tip

Be careful how far you drive if the Charging System light is on. If the battery is dead, the alternator should supply enough power for the engine, but if the alternator has failed, you can only drive as long as the charge in the battery lasts.