Q: My temp gauge on my 2007 chevy truck works for about ten seconds then stops

asked by on July 14, 2017

my temperature gauge works for about ten to fifteen seconds then stops on a 2007 chevy siveraldo pickup, I have a 4.8 litre Engine.

It sounds like you may have a faulty temperature gauge or a faulty temperature sensor. As you may know, there is a sensor that measures the temperature of the coolant that relays this information to the computer which then sends this information to the temperature gauge. When this sensor is not working properly, you may notice an erratic or inaccurate reading. You may also experience the engine running a bit poorly or in some cases stalling as the computer will have trouble determining when the cold start enrichment process will need to be altered as the engine warms up. As you may know, when the engine is cold, the computer determines how much additional fuel is needed to supply the motor with while it continues to warm up as slowly reaches the correct operating temperature. When this process is not working as it is designed to, the computer may continue to supply the motor with excess fuel that is not needed once the engine has already reached normal operating temperature. When this happens, you may notice the engine stalling as it is over fueled and not able to efficiently bun the fuel supplied to it. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your temperature sensor.