Q: Hey if my cam chain broke can I put a new chain on before TDC?

Hey if my cam chain broke can I put a new chain on before TDC....Because in my case if I turn the crankshaft without the chain on the crank will turn but the cams won't so should I put the new chain on first with the colored link lined up in the same spot? PLEASE HELP

The recommended procedure is to set the camshaft and the crankshaft at top dead center (TDC) and then install the belt matching the appropriate marks on the belt to the TDC marks. When moving the camshaft into the correct position be sure the crankshaft is NOT set at TDC because the valves and/or pistons may be damaged (your engine is classified as an interference engine). If you desire that a certified mechanic install the belt and insure that the engine is properly timed and re-assembled, please schedule service via YourMechanic’s timing belt service page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Hey if my cam chain broke can I put a new chain on before TDC?