Q: How long should the tires last?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How long should the tires last?

You expect your tires to provide you with a long use life. In most situations, that’s what happens, but there are times that you might experience premature wear and tear. There are a lot of different factors that go into determining just how long your tires will last. Here’s a quick introduction:

1. Mileage Rating: Most tires today come with some sort of mileage rating. Understand that this is not a guarantee – it’s a guideline.

2. Driving Habits: One of the most significant factors in how long your tires last is how you drive your car. Fast starts, hard stops, high speed driving, curbing and other habits will reduce tire life.

3. Tire Pressure: The amount of air in your tires has an immense impact on tire life. Running your tires with too much or too little air will significantly reduce the mileage you get out of them.

4. Maintenance: How regularly you have your tires rotated and balanced will also play a role in tire life. Even a single missed rotation can reduce their use life.