Q: Car is running hotter than normal.

asked by on November 22, 2016

After driving the car for about 15 minutes the temperature gauge will rise to about 3/4 of the way then it will cool down to a little lower than normal operating temperature. It will stabilize for a second at normal then the car will begin overheating again. Sometimes it actually makes it to extremely hot, but most the trip it will only overheat a little bit. When i turn the car off after the trip the fans remain on for a few minutes(this has never happened the whole 3 yrs I've had the car).

Hi there. Check the coolant level to the radiator. If the coolant is low, then fill it up to the top and recheck the overheating conditions. If the engine continues to overheat or if the the radiator is full of coolant and overheats, then feel the upper radiator hose at operating temperature. The hose should be hot to the touch. If its not that hot, then the thermostat is not opening all the way causing a restriction in the system. I recommend replacing the thermostat if its not opening up all the way. If you need further assistance with your engine overheating, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.