Q: My Check Engine Light is on and will not turn off

Check engine light is on. I installed a cold air intake a few years ago. Some time later my check engine light would go on and then turn off after a while. Now it is always on. I noticed some engine oil contamination aparently being vacuumed through the PCV line connecting to the cold air intake and going into the throttle body. Is it possible this might have set the check engine light on? Would an Oil Catch Can help in solving this issue?

It is possible that the recirculation of the oil back into the intake could be causing an issue, if the amount is excessive. However, without reading any troubleshooting codes, there would be no way to confirm why the Check Engine Light is illuminated; the Check Engine Light can come on for any number of reasons. The first thing that you are going to need to do is use a scanner to pull the codes from your vehicle’s computer and see what they indicate. If you need assistance with this, you can always contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the reason for your illuminated Check Engine Light.

3. My Check Engine Light is on and will not turn off