Q: After alternator replacement, no power in SUV

I tried jump-starting my alternator, which had gone out in my SUV, and smoke started coming from the alternator. So I replaced it and now there is No power in my vehicle. Plus, I charged the new alternator for 20 minutes and the dash lights and the dome light went out and won’t even turn on. Do you think the computer is ruined and how do I get this fixed?

A: Hello. It sounds like the cause of your pro...

Hello. It sounds like the cause of your problem is a blown battery fuse. The battery fuse is the main fuse for your battery, and if it has blown, the truck will not have any power until it is replaced. In some rare cases, this could cause damage to the computer, but it is not likely. I would suggest that you have the battery fuse replaced as well as an inspection of the battery and charging system done. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, assist you with this.