Q: Can I change the transmission fluid

The transmission fluid has never been changed. Recently, the trans pan was lowered and filter changed, but not the fluid, the fluid was filter and placed back in the trans for I did not know if at this point it could be replaced without harming the trans. The magnets were cleaned for they had a black residue on them, but did not feel like metal particles. It felt like it was dirt debris that disintegrated in my fingers as I rubbed and my finger just got dirtier as I did. The manual states to replace fluid and filter every 30000 mile or every 2 years. Can the fluid be replace at this time without harming the trans? Not flushing it, just replacing the fluid in the trans pan with new fluid. The car is driven locally 95% of the times and far for doctors appointments or drop off and pick ups at the airports (about 2 hours top to and from the doctors office or to the airports).

Hi, thanks for writing in. That "debris" you feel is usually clutch material. Clutch material inside automatic transmissions is very similar to manual transmission clutch material as well as brake pad material. It generally appears as a fine dust. While I cannot speak in certainties, with such low mileage, you should be fine with changing the fluid and filter. Rule of thumb, any time you remove the transmission pan, it makes sense to replace the fluid and filter with new no matter the age or mileage of the fluid. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect you car for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

3. Can I change the transmission fluid