Q: My car accelerates very slowly - do I have turbo failure?

So, I was driving stupidly. I just bought a used Mazdaspeed 3 with 70k. I was at a dead stop and accelerated hard and fast, after throwing the car into 2nd, the boost seemed to just stop. The turbo no longer spools well or at all in 1st and 2nd gear, and very slowly in third and so on. What is possibly wrong? I feel stupid for doing this. It shifts okay, no issues there, but accelerates really slowly and seems to peak around 4K RPM.

Mark

Hi there. From the description you have given, there could be a few reasons for the lack of turbocharger and lack of power. It could be the turbocharger has failed and requires replacement. With no unusual noises, it could be the wastegate has hung open. The wastegate diverts exhaust gas away from the turbocharger to prevent over spooling the turbocharger. The vehicle accelerating really slow and peaking at 4,000 rpm could be a fuel delivery and/or exhaust restriction issue. In any case, your vehicle needs to be properly inspected, for diagnosis. I recommend your vehicle’s lack of turbo and power be inspected by a certified technician from YourMechanic.