Q: I have a 2001 ford expedition 4.6 motor. Will a 2004 crown vic 4.6 motor work? If so how.

asked by on July 23, 2017

I have a 2001 ford expedition 4.6.will a 2004 crown vic motor fit

The engine itself should work. However, there are other parts such as the intake manifold and brackets for the belt driven accessories will need to be swapped over from your original engine as these parts are not the same in the Crown Vic. The main thing to find out is if the transmission will bolt up to this engine or not. I know that the Lincoln Mark VIII and the Lincoln Continental from the 1998-2002 era have the EXACT same engine. However, the Continental is front wheel drive and the Mark VIII is rear wheel drive. Therefore, because of the way the transmission bolts up, the engine from one of these cars will not work for the other one. I would be sure to check the same thing for the Crown Vic and Expedition.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr