Q: Engine light is on and sometimes the power in the engine reduces

Sometimes my engine light comes on my dash board on my Chevrolet Captiva. I have just had the car fully serviced and tuned. They could not find the problem with the engine light but they say that it could be a problem with the accelerator pedal and this needs to be changed. Is this correct?

When driving the car the engine light comes on and then the power of the engine reduces. Sometimes when i start the car the accelerator on the dash board / speedometer goes up without me putting my foot on the accelerator.

Please can you explain what the problem is and how to fix?

I believe that the speedometer needle going up as the car is started is a factory feature that was added by Chevrolet on purpose. As for the acceleration issue, I would recommend having the vehicle scanned for trouble codes with an OBD-2 scanner. This will inform you of the malfunction that the PCM is reporting and can help lead you in the right direction towards locating the failed part. Once the part failure has been determined, the replacement procedure will be more clear to the technician performing the service. I don’t recommend following through with any repairs unless the technician makes a clear reading and diagnosis of the Check Engine code.

3. Engine light is on and sometimes the power in the engine reduces