Q: Sporadic startup issues

My car has gone 175,000 miles. It's been a few years since it started having startup difficulties that happen out of the blue and disappear the same way. I took it to several shops but they said they needed the car not to be able to turn on at that point so that they could diagnose it. The car have sporadic startup issues, but it happens only after the car hasn't been in motion briefly, up to 10 minutes. Then it would take up to half an hour for it to stat up again. Do you have any idea what can cause this? Thanks.

Hello. Intermittent starting issues can be caused by a number of things. If the engine will not crank at all when this occurs is usually caused by a failing ignition switch. If it is cranking and not starting then most of the time it is a bad crankshaft position sensor. Both of these are common. The only way to diagnose this is for the vehicle to be acting up when it is being tested so that will make it difficult. If you want to have it looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue.