Q: Does the 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2.4L water pump run on a timing belt or drive belt?

asked by on November 16, 2016

I have a 2005 dodge status sxt with a 4.2L engine. I was driving to work and the alternator belt disintegrated though at the time I did not know that was the cause of the shudder. Electrical light came on and lights grew gradually dimmer. I drove for about 20 minutes to my destination with no other ill effects. Though I barely made it. After examination and seeing the belt was gone, I tested the drivability by driving it 5 minutes further. Now the battery is dead and the a/c doesn't work, of course, but I was wondering how the water pump is driven on this engine? I made it 25 minutes with just the symptoms of no a/c and a dying battery but it was cool (50's) in stop and go traffic. I want to try to make it about 5 miles to the repair shop. What do you think?

The water pump on this engine is turned by the timing belt for the engine. Anytime you need to replace the water pump you should also replace the timing belt.