Q: 02 Expedition engine light on. How long do I need to drive it after resetting light to have emissions inspection done

The check engine light came on. I need to get my emissions inspection done by end of this month. If my mechanic turns the light off how long do I have to drive it before I can get the inspection done? Somebody told me that if my mechanic unplugs the ECM or something like that the light will stay off for 500 miles and it will pass. I've never heard this before. Any suggestions on how I can get it to pass? I have changed the oil and filter, replaced the air filter, and made sure the tires are properly inflated. Do I still need to drive it about 50 miles after he disconnects whatever it is? Oh-I'm in Missouri. I qualify for the low mileage exemption but it would take a little while to get that approval letter. So if I get my inspection and it fails could I then go for the exemption or would I then be required to make the $400 or whatever it is in repairs to get it to pass? Thanks in advance!!

You may need to drive it for up to 100 miles in different driving conditions to get the monitors to pass. You can have the system tested to see if they all pass before getting inspected as long as they do not clear the monitors again to make it start over again.