Q: What should I know about the seat-mounted and roof-mounted air bags?

What should I know about the seat-mounted and roof-mounted air bags?

Your Altima is equipped with a number of different air bags – it goes well beyond the front driver and front passenger system. You also have seat-mounted air bags and roof-mounted air bags. Here’s what you should know about each:

1. Seat-Mounted: These air bags are located on the outside edge of the driver and passenger seat. They’re designed to activate during certain side impacts (they may or may not deploy in a front or rear-end impact).

2. Roof-Mounted: Roof mounted air bags are installed along the edge of the car’s roof and deploy downward over the windows. They should only deploy during side impacts, but may inflate during front or rear impacts if the system decides they are warranted.

Tips

• Always wear your seat belt – don’t rely on air bags to prevent injury.

• Smoke seen from inflating air bags is normal and won’t cause harm.

• Neither of these systems will work if the key is not turned to the on position.

3. What should I know about the seat-mounted and roof-mounted air bags?