Q: Can't remove keys from ignition and car will now shift out of park without pressing on the brakes. What is wrong with my car?

asked by on September 07, 2016

I just got home from work and I put my car in park and tried to remove the keys. I can't get the ignition to turn completely to remove them and the shifter will change gears without me pressing on the brake. I just had a guy come replace my brake pads and rotors today and didn't ever have any issues prior. Wondering if they disconnected something or what could have happened?

Your shifter has a cable that will go up to the ignition to allow the ignition to turn full to lock position and you can remove the key. The problem is that the cable is not moving in the center console shift mechanism. Have the shift mechanism accessed and check the shifter for a broken or loose cable or if the shifter mechanism itself is broken.

I have seen situations where fluids gets spilled on the center console which gets into the mechanism and makes it stick. If you’re unable to pinpoint the issue, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose the issue with your shifter firsthand for an accurate repair.