Q: Windshield wipers less effective when I'm driving fast

It's been raining a lot lately, and I've noticed a problem: The faster I drive, the less effective my windshield wipers get. Up to 60 mph, they work fine. Around 65 mph, they start making a chattering noise. The faster I go, the more they chatter. The more they chatter, the less water they remove. This is a big problem at night. I'm thinking air is getting under the wipers and just lifting them up. Does that make sense? Could it be anything else?

Hello. It is possible that air is getting under the windshield wipers, making them ineffective. Although it is more likely that the windshield wiper arms are getting bent and/or have worn out. Sometimes the windshield wipers can be bent or worn out enough that the wind would be able to lift the wiper blade off of the window when driving at high speeds.

It will probably be necessary to replace the windshield wiper arms in order to fix the problem that you are experiencing. If you need help with this, a certified technician can help replace the windshield wiper arms for you.