Q: Noisy steering, very new car, what’s causing it?

My 2013 Nissan Altima only made it 6,000 miles before the power steering started making an obnoxious whining noise whenever the car steered even a little. I am so disappointed in the quality of this car, it just is unbelievable to me that this big of a problem got by any inspection process. I can’t afford the repair, so I am waiting it out and hoping that Nissan starts fixing this problem for free (as they should!). Is this a safe course of action?

The whining noise you hear is coming from the power steering module, which is an electric motor that provides the assist, rather than a pump and a bunch of hoses. While this system has many advantages, noise seems to be an issue for Altimas in your year. Nissan hasn’t released any bulletins or recalls about this issue, but some dealers have had luck adding insulation or rubber tubing to the bracket that connects the module to the strut tower area. A call to your local dealership may help with the repair and the cost, but like in any issue that comes up, it is always best to have it looked into before it gets worse or causes wear on another component.