Q: Car hesitated and transmission engaged before acceleration

asked by on February 10, 2017

I was stopped at a red light and started to accelerate on green when my car hesitated. It felt like I being hit from behind. With a big Thud, the transmission engaged before I could accelerate. The farther down the road, it downshifted and then upshifted, without warning! Sometimes it would go from 6th gear to 3rd gear and threw me forward when it did this. Each time I would stop and then try to start, the transmission would hesitate and then slam into gear. When I was parked on a slight upgrade, the car drifted backward quite a distance and the only way I could stop it was to press on the gas. When I did this, the transmission once again, slammed into gear. During all of these incidents, there was never a single warning light. My car only has 8,000 miles. What is your advice and solution to fix my car?

Some of the CX5s have been having severe transmission problems, which is exactly what it sounds like your’s is experiencing. There have been a couple cases of complete failure, even with under 1000 miles on them. It’s possible that it could be an electrical problem, but it’s very unlikely with how new the car is, and the way the transmission is behaving. I would suggest bringing it back to the dealer for warranty repair ASAP.