Q: How likely is it that a transmission could be blown after getting towed for a faulty shifter wire?

Driving down main town road. Sudden onset of rattleing, high pitches whining sound, and shaking, as well as sputtering forward. Pull off main road, cant put car into park or reverse because the shifter wont translate the shift into P or R, just between D, 2, and L. Also, shifter difficult to move. Tow comes, says shifter wire is busted ( I notice small wires breaking out of the large wire). Tows me to close by mechanic, mechanic says wire needs to be ordered, maybe Friday it will be done (500$ quote). Monday I call, they tell me transmission is wrecked, needs a new one. Should I get a second opinion. The car came from a dead family member in Florida, was drove up here ( to Vermont) and drove fine for 3 months before this.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If the transmission shift cable broke, but another mechanic is telling you that the transmission itself is broken, I would highly recommend a second opinion. In most cases, it’s one or the other that cause the symptoms you’ve described; not both. The only thing I can imagine is that the shift linkage on the transmission is broken; which is what the mechanic may be referring to that needs to be replaced. Again, since transmission replacement is very expensive, I would recommend having a local mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to shift inspection, so they can offer you a second opinion.