Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

Q: Fix, trade, sell, or sell for parts?

asked by on

Hi, I am the title holder of a 2004 Honda CR-V, manual transmission. I ran it out of oil - I know, I know, if I could go back in time I would stop at that spooky gas station at 10PM and buy some oil - but here we are...

I'm being quoted approximately $2700 to replace the engine. I don't know if I should do this, or try to sell it for parts or trade it in as is, if that's possible with a non-working car.

I think I should have it fixed and continue to drive it since I already own it but I'm being advised to get rid of it one way or another and buy another car, but this person is not "car-literate."

I would appreciate any advise you can give me. Thank you --Lisa

My car has 150000 miles.
My car has a manual transmission.

Lisa: The sales tax alone on a brand new $25,000 car is about $2,000. Obviously, a repair bill of $2,700 (or less, if possible) looks attractive in a comparison like that. If you buy a "used" car from a dealer, you will also pay a large amount of sales tax. Any late model used car in reasonable condition is going to cost in the neighborhood of $10,000 or more. You already have a used car, in your possession, that can be made to run for perhaps $2,700. Therefore, assuming your car is in reasonable condition (other than the engine) your least cost option is going to be to simply fix what you already own. There are some YourMechanic specialists who will do engine swaps and you should investigate that possibility. If you are installing a used engine you have to be careful to get one that is actually "good" and you also have to be sure that any mechanic you work with is competent and is willing and able to follow instructions. An option, that you should look into as well, is to have your existing engine rebuilt at a local machine shop/engine re-building facility. Rebuilding your existing engine, which essentially gives you a NEW engine at the end of the process, should reduce the risk that attends installing a "used" engine AND may not change your overall repair bill that much. "Used" engines are a potentially risky proposition, so be sure you investigate the re-build option at a COMPETENT re-builder. Please let YourMechanic know if and how we can assist you further as we would be pleased to help you.

Was this answer helpful?

Need advice from certified mechanic? Get help now!

Over 1000 mechanics are ready to answer your question.
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: Battery light staying on

If the battery light is still on, the chances are your battery might not have needed replacement. The battery light is simply an indicator for the whole charging system. A bad battery, bad connection, bad alternator, bad regulator, etc. are...

Q: How do you pair a phone with HandsFreeLink®?

Pairing your phone with the car is the first step in using Honda’s HandsFreeLink (HFL) system. There are a few simple steps needed. First, make sure that you’re not in motion. Second, make sure the phone is discoverable. ...

Q: Want to upgrade to newer motor. 350 vortec. What is the most cost effective way? 1987 Chevrolet R10

Hi - this can be a highly argued question - but many find a "crate" motor to be a good way to go. They are available in a variety of configurations and horsepower ratings, have a warranty honored at any...

Related articles

How Do Power Car Windows Increase Passenger Safety?
Power windows are responsible for approximately 2,000 emergency room visits every year. When a power window closes, it exerts enough force to bruise or break bones, crush fingers, or restrict an airway. Though...
P0052 OBD-II Trouble Code: HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0052 code definition HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1) What the...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...