Q: Squeak from right side of car

For a few months now, my car has been making a squeal noise from the right front side of the car when I am going over 40 mph and I stop pushing the gas. It also makes a squeal noise when I turn the steering wheel all the way right. I want to try to have some idea of what to get fixed before I take the car to get fixed so I plan the money. Any ideas?

It sounds like you may have two separate issues going on here. The squealing noise when turning the wheel is likely related to a squealing belt that may be damaged or not properly adjusted. The squeaking when you are slowing down may be related to wheel bearings that may be beginning to fail. Wheel bearing noise can sound a lot like a brake pad dragging, squealing or grinding. It can also sound like whirring, whining or humming depending on how much sound deadening material your vehicle has in it. Bearing noise will always be dependent on vehicle speed meaning as you speed up or slow down the noise should change frequency or loudness. Cornering may affect the noise from a damaged front wheel bearing, however the noise is not as noticeable when it is a rear wheel bearing issue.

Bearing damage usually happens slowly over the course of days or weeks or maybe even months. You may notice the noise getting louder and louder over 50-100 miles. Make sure you replace a worn bearing quickly, but it may be ok to drive for a few days to verify you have a bearing problem. A worn bearing will generate more heat than a good bearing so you can sometimes find a worn bearing by feeling for heat around your vehicle’s wheels near the lug nuts. If one wheel is significantly hotter than the others, it may have a bad bearing. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.