Q: No start issue: crank but no spark- replaced ignition coil

asked by on December 13, 2016

hello yourmechanic, I have a starting problem with my old JETTA Mk3- it cranks but wont start. I checked for spark at the end of the sparkplug wire and i don't have spark, so i replaced ignition coil and i still have no spark. could it be the starter? or could it be the crankshaft sensor? thank you in advance for your feedback, regards, Bill

The starter will not have any impact on the engine’s ability to produce spark. There are a number of issues that may cause an ignition system to not produce spark.

A bad crankshaft position (CKP) sensor (on engines that do not have a distributor), or broken, loose or corroded wires from the sensor to the PCM. A bad ignition module (on engines that have a distributor or use an ignition module separate from the PCM) A bad pickup inside the distributor (on engines that have a distributor), a stripped distributor drive gear (common problem with plastic distributor drive gears), broken, loose or corroded wires from the pickup to the ignition module or PCM. A bad ignition coil (on engines that have a distributor and a single coil) A bad rotor or distributor cap (cracks or carbon tracks that are allowing the spark to short to ground) A faulty ignition switch.

Any of the above issues may contribute to a lack of spark problem and should be looked at by a qualified mechanic such as one from YourMechanic. I would suggest having one of our professionals come to your location to diagnose and inspect your spark problem.