Q: Q: Transmission

When I first turn my vehicle on in the morning to prepare to drive to work, I notice the transmission shifting gears later than usual. It continues on for about 20 minutes then the gears change as they should. Does this mean I need a transmission flush?

The electronic controls in modern cars have a "warm up program" for emissions purposes. By holding the engine revs a bit higher and longer when the engine is cold, it will warm up faster, therefore pollute less. If you are noticing it happening more or longer than usual, a transmission service may help. However, if at 113,000 miles the transmission has never been serviced, my opinion and experience would have me not simply do a trans flush. I would go through the added expense of not only having it flushed, but if the transmission is "serviceable" - the transmission pan can be removed and the filter replaced - I would service it in that manner. While a trans flush replaces all of the transmission fluid where simply draining from the pan - with filter replacement - replaces "most" of the fluid, my concern would be simply flushing the fluid while leaving a 113,000 mile filter inside the transmission as well as any residue in the bottom of the transmission pan. Have a certified technician service your transmission.

3. Q: Transmission