Q: How do you adjust the rearview mirror?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you adjust the rearview mirror?

Your rearview mirror might not be the most high-tech piece of equipment, but it’s an essential consideration for safety while on the road. Using your rearview mirror helps keep you and your passengers safe, and it also protects other drivers on the road. Here’s how to adjust it correctly:

1. Grasp the mirror gently by the outside of the housing.

2. Tilt it up or down to center the rear window in the mirror.

3. Adjust it right or left (angle) to center the rear window in the mirror.

4. Flip the tab at the bottom backward for daytime driving.

5. Flip the tab at the bottom forward to put the mirror into nighttime driving mode and reduce glare from headlights behind you (don’t forget to flip it back during the day).

Tip

When the rearview mirror is adjusted correctly, you should see very little of the interior of your car. The view should be primarily out the back window, which allows you to see the cars behind you.