Q: How does the Speed Sensitive steering work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the Speed Sensitive steering work?

All Fusion models have Speed Sensitive steering, regardless of whether you have an Electronic Power Steering system or a Hydraulic system. This feature is designed to make it simpler to turn the wheel when you’re driving at low speeds. Here’s how it works:

• The Power Steering system provides greater assists at low speeds than at high speeds.

• The Speed Sensitive steering aspect should be consistent – it shouldn’t take more or less force to turn the wheel at the same speed during different times.

Tips

• If you notice that your car is pulling to one side or the other, or that your steering “wanders”, check for tire problems first. If all four tires have the right amount of air and are not improperly worn, it may be a suspension or alignment problem.

• Always have your car inspected if you notice inconsistencies in power steering performance.