Q: Car went backwards when I had it in drive.

This morning I let my car run for a few minutes to let it warm up and I was not on a hill. I was trying to get out of a parallel parking spot and it would only go backwards when I had the car in drive. Eventually after 15 minutes it jolted forward extremely hard and then squeaked and would accelerate like that for a bit until I got it going. What's going on?

This is a known issue in the Volkswagon Jetta transmission. Converter drain back is a situation where the automatic transmission fluid drains back into the transmission pan causing this kind of a reaction. Some of this is normal, but not to the extent you are describing. Another potential problem could be hardening of what are called clutch piston seals. These are rubber material and when they get cold they tend to harden which causes them to leak. This can also cause the clutch to be slow or erratic in being applied. I would suggest having an certified expert, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home to diagnose your rough driving symptoms firsthand and make the necessary repairs.

3. Car went backwards when I had it in drive.