Q: Belts keeps breaking - 1992 Mercury Capri

My car has gone 174,000 miles. I had the alternator replaced a month ago. The mechanic also replaced the belt at the same time. However, after several days, I noticed that the belt started to make squealing noise. It would make the noise when I start the car and in addition to that, the battery gauge was fluctuating erratically. The belt squealed for about five days and broke. The belt was replaced several times already. What might cause it to keep breaking?

A: Hello. If this all started after the altern...

Hello. If this all started after the alternator was replaced, then that is more than likely the problem. If the alternator is defective and has an internal bearing failure then this will occur. Also, if the alternator is not mounted correctly, then this can happen. I would have the shop warranty the alternator and that should take care of it. Alternatively, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the recurring alternator problem in person.