Q: Driver's side headlight keeps burning out. High beams and running lights are fine.

asked by on December 11, 2016

Replaced the driver's side headlight and the regular light keeps burning out. High beams and running light are fine. Passenger's side works fine.

Hello. Thank you for writing in. There are several reasons why your bulb would continue to burn out prematurely. The first thing you want to check is that you are wiping any oils from your hands off of the bulb. If you are handling the bulbs with your bare hands, the oils transfer to the glass, and the heating up of the oils will burn out the bulb. Also make sure the bulb is being placed in correctly and is not loose. Extra play may allow for the bulb to vibrate against its surroundings and burn out. If you have a voltmeter you can also check the available voltage when the bulb is turned on. It should not be over 14.5 volts. If it is too high, the excess voltage is causing the bulb to "pop". The last thing you should consider is the quality of the bulb and the place you are getting them. Not all bulbs are created equal, and you may want to try switching stores and brands. Replace the bulb on more time with a different brand of bulb purchased from somewhere else. Make sure you do not touch the bulb with your bare hands.