Q: I have a 2005 trailblazer

asked by on March 06, 2017

My husband and i purchased a 2005 trailblazer. When we 1st got it almost 2 weeks ago there was no CEL on and the car started up with no hesitation. The man told us the car had been inspected and was good until next year. He informed us that because gas has ethanol in it every 5th fill up we need to put fuel cleaner in it. A week after having the truck the CEL would come on and then go off. For the past week the CEL has stayed on and there is a hesitation when you crank it up. We took it to AZ an it came up with the p0014 code that indicates the Bank 1 exhaust camshaft positioning timing was advanced beyond limits, Suggested maintenance was change engine oil/filter, inspect air filter, inspect brake linings/hoses, inspect cooling system, inspect cooling system, hoses, clamps, or inspect for fluid leaks. What do you suggest that I do?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your vehicle can use up to 15% ethanol with no ill effects and such use (of E-15 for example) does NOT require regular use of any particular fuel system "cleaner". Most gasoline vended these days already contains a sufficient additive package, including detergents, to minimize fuel system deposits. With regard to the maintenance that you have noted, anything that is on the maintenance schedule for the vehicle, as specified by the manufacturer at various mileage intervals, should be performed, no question. YourMechanic can perform any or all of the maintenance, as you desire.

The diagnostic trouble code that you are referring to, namely P0014, could be related to the hard start difficulty you are having. Known solutions if Code P0014 sets include, for example, replacing the oil and filter using the proper oil viscosity for the engine, repairing or replacing the wiring to the camshaft oil control valve for bank 1 exhaust camshaft, replacing the camshaft oil control valve for bank 1 exhaust camshaft, and repairing or replacing the timing chain and camshaft phasers as directed by the service manual. A diagnostic is required to determine if any of these latter fixes are applicable in your case, or whether there might be other causes of the problem. Consequently, the best thing to do is request a check engine light diagnostic. A certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve any specific diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that might have set and, as well, the Mechanic will assess the relevance of any published TSB’s (technical service bulletins) to your case. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.