Q: Is it possible to open my radiator cap too often - to the point that doing so can damage it?

asked by on August 04, 2017

We have had issues with our coolant system recently, and so I have been checking the levels more often by opening the cap since it's hard to see through the reservoir. But does opening the cap every week or so damage it ultimately?

Hello, thank you for writing in. If you are not doing any damage to the cap when you remove and replace it, the cap will likely be fine. However, any time you mess with any component over and over again, it is going to wear down. The special part about the radiator cap is that is regulates coolant pressures with the quick changes of temperature. These gaskets and manifolds inside the cap are simple pieces of rubber and plastic. They are not designed to be messed with for very long, and they will start to have issues eventually. Most commonly, they start to fail to regulate temperature and pressure. You can always have the cap tested. For the immediate time, you should be okay.