Q: Noisy steering, is it a dangerous problem?

The steering in my 2007 GMC Acadia has had a few issues over the years. I have taken the car 91,000 miles in its life and have had it serviced for noisy steering about three times. Every time they bled the system and I was good for 20k or so miles, then more whining and groaning going around corners. Now the noise is worse and louder than ever. Is my power steering just broken? I am through taking it in for the same problem!

A: Noisy steering is usually indicative of def...

Noisy steering is usually indicative of defective fluid, unless you have a leak and are low on fluid. In your case, I would recommend having a top-rated mechanic from YourMechanic run a power steering pump pressure-test and check the power steering system for leaks. The most likely cause in your vehicle is a leak that has caused the pump to run continuously on low fluid. The fix would be to find and repair any leaks and replace the noisy power steering pump and flush out all old fluid and replace with new fluid.