Q: Engine problems.

Hi, my car is running very bad at the moment. When I start the vehicle from cold there is a really loud rattling noise coming from the car which seems like turbo area to me. Also when stationary the car feels as though it is going to die and the gear stick when in neutral shakes when stationary. The car when driving makes a noise too like a metal hitting metal noise sounds like a chain slapping something. When pulling away from a stand still the car shakes vigorously once you've applied the accelerator and let the clutch up. When you press the accelerator and then release a popping noise comes from the rear of the vehicle like a misfire or a backfire. Goes through lots of oil and also petrol currently I'm getting around 25mpg combined and only 39mpg on the motorway driving. The car has also stalled/died on me twice whilst driving and an one occasion the vehicle lost all power and a loud screech came from the car and then the car started to accelerate again. It's a 14 BMW F20 116i.

A: Hello. From what you describe it would appe...

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing some serious performance and maybe even mechanical issues. If you believe the noise is coming from your turbo area it may be possible that the turbo is having an issue. If the turbo’s bearing, seals, or impeller wear out they can make noise as well as cause performance issues.

Your oil consumption may also be linked to the turbo, if the seals are leaking and allowing oil into the the engine. If the vehicle is still under warranty I would recommend taking it to the dealer as these sorts of problems should not be occurring with a model vehicle as new as this one. Otherwise, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the shaking and noise you’re experiencing for an accurate repair.