Q: I'm thinking about buying a 2016 Honda Civic with 12,600 miles

I'm looking at buying a 2016 Honda Civic ex-l with 12,667 miles. The carfax report shows that last month tge abs/tcs module was reprogrammed. Is this a bad sign? Thanks for your help.

This should not be a problem as sometimes the ABS module may need to be reprogrammed due to glitches in software or other issues related to the functioning of the ABS sensors at each of the four wheels on the vehicle. Your vehicle is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information simultaneously to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals.

I would suggest checking the Kelly Blue Book website with specifics related to your zip code as market prices of cars vary by zip code. This will give you a baseline for determining whether or not the car is within a general range of the asking price. Secondly, as you know, with any car the life expectancy of it depends largely on the maintenance schedule the owner has maintained, the driving conditions it is subjected to, the driving habits of the owner and many other factors. Often times when a car has had internal damage or even slight cosmetic damage, it may be difficult to tell without looking closely or performing an in depth inspection. As with any vehicle, proper maintenance schedules are a key factor to prolonging the longevity of the vehicle and avoiding unnecessary costly repair bills due to neglecting proper maintenance intervals. You may also want to contact the local dealer to check on any existing or outstanding warranty issues or recalls specific to that vehicle. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to perform a thorough pre-purchase inspection prior to making your purchase.

3. I'm thinking about buying a 2016 Honda Civic with 12,600 miles