Q: Service Charging system light coming in. Intermittent. Brand new alternator and battery. Have had to boost it a few times.

asked by on December 26, 2016

Brand new alternator and battery. Having issues.

Battery will not hold a charge Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

What you are describing sounds like a potentially failing voltage regulator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. In some cases when a battery is too weak or damaged, it may no longer hold a charge for any length of time, in which case the alternator may be doing its job, but the battery is just simply too weak to hold a charge. In either case, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.