Q: Vibration on startup - 2004 Nissan Sentra

Hello!

Im going to make this really quick. On startup, especially in the morning, the car has a hard time starting. It just got a new ignition coil and we had all 4 coils or cylinders replaced.

When I start up the car...she has a hard time starting up. Takes a few seconds. Then when she does start up...the engine shakes a little. Sounds like it needs something, then the moment I put it in reverse and pull out, it runs normal.

Also, if I start it up a few times, after the third time she starts up normally.

Any idea what could be the problem? Thanks!

A lengthy Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) dealing with this issue was published by Nissan in 2006. The TSB outlines a repair procedure for the fuel pump that resolves a known issue with fuel leaking back into the tank instead of staying at the injectors at start-up. The procedure is reported to solve the problem of delayed start.

You can ask the Nissan Service manager to print out EC05-001a NTB05-052a, dated September 8, 2006, and styled as "2002-2006 Sentra: Long Engine Crank Time Before Start". The Fuel Pump Repair Kit includes "Fuel Pump Repair Kit 22670-8U70C 1" and the "Fuel Tank Gasket (O-ring) 17342-01A00 1". See further the full 10 page text of the TSB.

In addition, the maintenance schedule for your vehicle states that the spark plugs and timing belt are replaced at 105,000 miles. If the spark plugs in particular were not replaced, that could also explain the difficulty starting. Other possibilities are clogged fuel filter, dirty fuel injectors, faulty fuel pressure regulator, inadequate fuel system pressure, and air induction system faults.

If you desire that a certified mechanic from YourMechanic retrofit the Nissan kit to your vehicle, and inspect for these other possible faults, please feel free to schedule a mobile visit.

3. Vibration on startup - 2004 Nissan Sentra