Q: What precautions should I take with the air bag system?

What precautions should I take with the air bag system?

A: While the air bags in your car are designed...

While the air bags in your car are designed to enhance safety during accidents, you do need to take a few precautions to ensure that you don’t damage the system, or increase your risk of injury. Here’s what you should know:

1. Never ever place sharp items on the seat or near an air bag.

2. Don’t place heavy items on the passenger seat, as this can turn the passenger front air bag system on when it shouldn’t be engaged.

3. Steam cleaners should not be used on your seats (the moisture can damage sensitive electronics in the seats).

4. Never touch a deployed air bag or air bag equipment (they’re hot and you can burn yourself).

5. Never attempt to work on an air bag or air bag equipment on your own.