Q: Car starts and turn back off immediately

asked by on October 24, 2016

Hi I have a Chevy cavalier z24 2001 - one day my car just stoped running I tried changing the fuel pump fuel filter battery and it will still start up and mediately turns off again - all my Gage's are on and my anti theft keep blinking will my car start if the anti theft is on ?? Sent from my iPhone

Hi. This car will not stay running if the anti theft light is blinking. This means that the car has shut down the fuel to the fuel injectors so the car does not run preventing someone from stealing it if they do not have the key. This is a known problem with Chevrolet cars and trucks that have this type of anti-theft system.

You can try reseting the system by leaving the key in on position for about 30 minutes or until the light stops flashing. There is also a 10 minute on 10 second off method you three times to reset the system the anti theft system. The best and permanent solution is to replace the security module. If you don’t this problem will continue to happen.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider having the car’s starting issue diagnosed by one of our mobile technicians. Best of luck.