Q: Why does my engine surge when the cruise control is on in my 2017 Kia Sportage

When I have the Cruise Control on between 60-66 mph - the engine surges between 2300 and 3700 RPM ... While driving on flat level highway. At slower peed - Cruise set at 55mph - Engine surges between 1800 and 2500 RPM. This uses up a lot of fuel ... WHY is it doing this?

Hello. This commonly occurs due to the fact that this engine is underpowered. The smaller engine in your vehicle has a problem maintaining speed which causes this fluctuation. I have seen a lot of complaints on this vehicle for this. In some cases having the dealer reprogram the computers can help this, but for the most part this is how the cruise works on your vehicle.